LAWNMOWER DERBY RULES
ERIE COUNTY FAIR
SATURDAY AUGUST 13, 6:00 PM
1st: $1000 2nd: $500 3rd: $250
Derby is open county registration
1. Entries will be accepted at the Secretary’s Office and by mail.
2. Entry fee $40.00 which covers driver plus one.
3. Pits open at 12:00 PM
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. 1. The garden or lawnmower must have a factory frame, no homemade frames.
2. Must be a front engine mower, no rear engines allowed.
3. All mowers must have factory stock engines.
4. Transaxles must be factory; reinforcing or spider gears is allowed.
5. Reinforcing the frame is permitted.
6. Reinforcing around engine is allowed, but cannot be outside of the hood.
7. Hoods must remain factory. Hoods can be screwed down or welded. If hood is fiberglass, you can make a hood from sheet metal, but it is not allowed to be any bigger than the fiberglass hood was.
8. Brakes must be in operation when pulling in for heat race, must also have forward and reverse gear.
9. Gas tank must be fastened with cap on, if it comes loose or gas leaks you will be disqualified.
10. Some sort of leg guard is mandatory before entering arena, must go from rear fender to front foot rest or frame, and must be of 1-2 inch diameter.
11. The front of the frame under grill may be strengthened for hitting but must be a smooth finish, no front bumpers allowed.
12. A rear bumper is recommended, but not mandatory. It cannot extend 4 inches out from rear of mower. Some sort of back protection is recommended, but not mandatory.
13. Pulleys can by changed to increase speed.
14. Drivetrain modifications are allowed to change gearing but must stay original. (belt drive stays belt drive, chain drive stays chain drive)
15. Wheels must have factory rims with no modifications, tires of choice. No dual wheels or cut tires.
16. Mower decks must be taken off before entering pits, plus all headlights and any other plastics must be removed before entering pit area.
17. NUMBER MUST BE SOMEWHERE ON EACH SIDE OF MOWER. NUMBER MAY BE ON HELMET ALSO.
18. If mower does not pass inspection, or participant refuses to fix something, there will be no refunds.
19. Officials have final say, we reserve the right to check mower after the derby.
RULES OF THE LAWNMOWER DEMOLITION DERBY
1. No children under the age of 16 allowed in pit area.
2. Driver must wear helmet, pants, long sleeve shirt, and eye protection when entering the track and during the derby.
3. No direct hits to the driver’s area.
4. If you are rolled over, the heat will be stopped and your lawnmower will be placed back on its wheels.
5. During the competition you must initiate contact within two (2) minutes. If at anytime you cannot make contact within the time limit you will be disqualified
6. All motion to be halted upon signal from referees in case fire, injury, and other emergencies.
7. No hits when opponent is out of bounds.
8. No pit racing.
9. The order of the derby will be combine heats, followed by the lawnmower derby, followed by the combine consolation, intermission, and finally the combine feature. There will be a lawnmower buyback for Sunday during the car demolition derby. The buyback will be $10 with 100% payout. If you choose only to run on Sunday the entry fee will be $40.
10. ALL LAWNMOWERS MUST BE REMOVED BY 10:00 AM SUNDAY AUGUST 11.
11. ALL DRIVERS MUST ATTEND THE DRIVER’S MEETING 1 HOUR BEFORE THE START OF THE DERBY.
12. Drivers will inspect each other’s mowers before the driver’s meeting and will bring up any concerns after the meeting with the officials.
13. NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED ON FAIRGROUNDS OR PIT AREA.